Thursday, February 10, 2011

Beef Lentil Soup of Awesomeness

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef drained or stewed beef cubes that have been stewed in the slow cooker previously
1 1/2 cups dry lentils, rinsed
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup corn
1 cup chopped onion (or not as I think onion is gross)
1 cup chopped celery
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cubes beef bouillon cube (If you use the stewed meat this is not required just drain the fat off the top and use the broth)
4-8 cups of pureed vegetables (if you're putting in 4 cups put in only 1 cup of lentils)
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Directions
Brown the meat and break it into small pieces while cooking or use your previously stewed meat.

Put the meat in a large soup pot. Add lentils, vegetables, salt, pepper, bouillon, vegetable puree, mushrooms, and Worcestershire sauce.  If the soup is looking like it is a bit thick you can add up to 2 cups of water to thin it out but remember this is a very thick soup. Cook on high until it boils. Reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir frequently because the lentils will stick to the bottom and burn or become all mushy.

NOTE: The vegetable puree may seem daunting to start with but it is quite easy. I just check my fridge every Friday and if there is anything there that is starting to look like a less than fresh vegetable I throw it in the freezer. I then take all the frozen vegetables when I want to make this soup and throw them in the blender with a can of tomatoes. It is normally a blend of red, green and yellow peppers, onion, tomatoes, jalapenos and a few carrots but you can really throw anything in. Once it is all blended up I pour it through a strainer to catch any chunks of peel and set it aside until I require it. I like to puree some garlic and cilantro into this as well. I do that because garlic is awesome and cilantro tastes very fresh.

I will provide my stewed beef recipe next week as it is a great addition to this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment